The Pelican Inn is on the outskirts of the small village of Froxfield. The fortunes of the village of Froxfield, like many other roadside villages, has been bound up with those of the road/s which slices through them. Originally a Roman road linking London to Bath it was later replaced by a more direct Saxon road linking the two cities. During the Tudor period it became known as the King's Highway - not originally considered the best route to Bath there was an alternative route via Ramsbury - however by the late 17th century it had superseded this and had become the major route.
According to historical records the Pelican Inn was then built towards the end of the 18th century (it is marked on historical road maps of 1773 and 1792) and was the latest of three original coaching inns in the village. This reflected the busiest decades of stage-coaching along the London to Bath road during the early 19th century. However by the middle of the 19th century only the Pelican Inn remained open for business due to the rapid decline in coaching traffic which coincided with the building of the railway. By 1843 it was reported that the last coach had ceased running between Bristol and London.
The Pelican Inn has had rather a mixed past since these times but it has always been a privately owned free house. More recently it has been a gastro-pub, a Chinese restaurant and a nightclub. At one time it was even owned by the famous children's TV presenter Johnny Morris.
Today the Pelican Inn is a traditional roadside Inn offering something for everyone: good value, freshly cooked food, real ales and en-suite accommodation. It is the ideal place to meet up with friends or business associates. A place to relax in the gardens by the pond with a drink and watch the ducks or sit inside and warm up after a walk with a coffee and to read the papers.